Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 1950 Lincoln Dietrich Presidential Convertible Limousine
Pebble Beach CA, Aug 18 2013 - The Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, Michigan brought a 1950 Lincoln Dietrich Presidential Convertible Limousine to the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.
In 1949, Lincoln awarded Raymond H. Dietrich a contract for a stretched four-door convertible for the use of President Harry S. Truman, and it catapulted Dietrich once again to national prominence. In all, nineteen of these cars were built – ten for White House service and nine for other government and VIP use. This Lincoln Cosmopolitan served three presidents – Truman, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and John F. Kennedy – from 1950 to 1961. It is most remembered as President Eisenhower’s only parade car, and at his own suggestion, it was equipped with a special removable Plexiglas “bubble top” so that the President could be seen in rainy weather. The car remained in White House service until the early days of President Kennedy’s administration in 1961, when it was retired and returned to Ford motor company. Its last official government use was on October 31, 1965, when President Lyndon B. Johnson borrowed the car for a visit to New York City.
Video Published by: The Henry Ford
Photo: Randy Berg
Source: Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance